Sunday 2 August 2009

'A'

So. First off, I think I should introduce you to A.

A is... well, I'm not sure what A is in relation to me, so let me tell you the things I am sure of:

  • A is younger than me
  • A is cute. Not my normal type - he's really quite thin, and I'm more into 'normal' weight guys, but he has pretty funky hair.
  • He likes cuddling and admits that he 'is maybe too touchy'. This is not a bad thing. In fact, it is fucking awesome (as long as it's not kids he can't stop touching, I guess)
  • He speaks almost entirely in internet meme. This is not brilliant - every sentence ends with X3, which apparently is some sort of smiley (and I thought I was pretty good at all this shit). But, it means he knows a lot of the memes I like - things like 'oh hai', 'om nom nom' and lolcats - which, while I would never use in normal conversation, are somewhat endearing and brilliant when other people know about. So kind of a good thing.
But, more importantly, he seems somewhat interested. While this may not be enough to get most guys excited, it is a pretty rare thing for me. So, when someone at least gives the impression that they're into me, that is A Big Deal. And, bonus, he's not even blind!

In truth, though, 'mixed signals' would be a slight underestimation of the situation. He contacted me through OKCupid a while back, making the first move (always nice). We chatted, and then moved onto MSN. At times, I would get messages from him the second I signed in. Conversations would rapidly deteriorate past 'what are you doing?', which is never a brilliant sign.

I had no idea whether he was actually interested in me physically or whether this was just a friendship thing. After all, he is thin, and I'm the opposite. Too good to be true. So, I just decided to get it over with: I said that I thought he was cute. He did a blush emoticon, and said he didn't really think he was. I said he really, really was. He thanked me.

Not soon afterwards, on a Saturday evening, he contacts me on MSN. He's just got in from a party. He's pretty happy. We talk a bit, then about our plans for tomorrow. We both have nothing planned. A lives about 30 minutes by train away from London; I'm Zone 2. I decide to seize the moment and ask him if he wants to meet up the next day.

A: 'Sure'.

SCORE! BFG does a little dance.

And then, just before we say goodnight to each other after a long conversation, he says the killer line: "Your new profile pics are cute."

DOUBLE SCORE!

We aren't sure what to do, so I suggest that he texts me the next day when he's heading out and I'll meet him at his London terminal. Sweet. Finally, a date - it's been almost a year.

Next day comes. I get up and ready early, so I can be ready for his text. 11:00am comes, nothing. I sit in my living room and play a game to pass the time - I can't remember which, maybe Trash Panic. 12:00am comes, and nothing. I send him a text: "Yo. Thought we could maybe go to that big Namco arcade? You thought of anything you want to?"

Nothing.

An hour later, I send another one: "So, you're not coming then?" Again, no response. Clearly, this ain't happening. That's actually not a bad thing - I am horrifically nervous in social situations, even when I'm meeting good friends, so you can imagine what I'm like before a date.

Anyway. He's not on MSN for a few days when I check in. When he finally does show up:

BFG: So, what happened to you on Sunday?
A: Huh?
BFG: Sunday. You didn't get in touch!
A: Were we supposed to meet or something?


Whaaaaa?!

BFG: Uh, yeah. We arranged to meet on Saturday evening?
A: Saturday evening? Oh, man - I was so drunk then. I must have forgotten all about it. Really sorry about that.

I'm not really sure what to think about that. My ex-housemate L used to be sex-friends with a guy who did this all the time - would oversleep and stand her up, or forget. How many times did I tell her to ditch this unreliable freak? Now I found myself in the same situation, and I realised how things are different when you're looking at this stuff objectively. I couldn't do anything but forgive him; laugh it off. After all, it had only been a minor disappointment, right?

Anyway... since then things got a bit cooler, there was a period of time where it looked like that may have fizzled out. Another opportunity, gone. Until tonight... but that'll have to wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment